Rainbow Rowell – Attachments.

Title: Attachments.
Author: Rainbow Rowell.
Pages: 357.
PublicationPublished February 2012 by Orion.
It's 1999 and the internet is still a novelty. At a newspaper office, two colleagues, Beth and Jennifer, e-mail back and forth, discussing their lives in hilarious details, from love troubles to family dramas. And Lincoln, a shy IT guy responsible for monitoring e-mails, spends his hours reading every exchange. At first their e-mails offer a welcome diversion, but the more he reads, the more he finds himself falling for one of them. By the time Lincoln realizes just how head-over-heels he is, it's too late to introduce himself. After a series of close encounters, Lincoln eventually decides he must follow his heart... and find out if there is such a thing as love before first sight.
RATING:

This is one of those books I wasn't planning to read, until it was nominated and picked for our bookclub. I am someone who is pretty open-minded when it comes to reading books outside my comfort zone, so I bought it (I like the cover) and I dived right into it. I must say, I wasn't blown away, but I didn't hate it either.

The main character, Lincoln, is living his life without enjoying it. He is 29, recently moved back into his mother's house and he is doing a job that clearly doesn't excite him. He works at night, spends most of his day eating and sleeping, and the only social interactions he gets are when he plays Dungeon & Dragons with some friends. We see glimpses of his previous relationship and how it all stranded, leaving a mark on him.

Lincoln was a difficult character and at the end I'm still not sure if he grew on me. His work is checking emails and making sure that it is not used for personal use and that there are no inappropriate content/words. When Jennifer/Beth's email exchanges get flagged, he decides to read them and for some reason, he never sends them a warning message. Instead, he keeps reading their conversations and he is completely invested in their lives. I thought it was creepy, especially when he starts to fall for one of them..

I don't know. Maybe I'm just not romantic enough, but falling in love with someone because they write funny isn't something that speaks to me. The fact that we get to know Jennifer/Beth only through their emails also made it hard to feel connected to them, although I was quite fascinated by all the things they went through. Beth is in a relationship and is desperate to marry, Jennifer is happily married and feels the pressure of having a baby, but she believes she is not (perhaps never) ready for it.

I liked Lincoln's development and how he starts to get out of his shell, but the way he pretty much stalks the girl he starts to fall in love with.. I liked to read about his previous relationship, but I did not really care for the romance and that's a shame, because in the end, that's what this story is all about.


"I want someone whose heart is big enough to hold me."

5 comments

  1. This one is only on my tbr because I love Rainbow Rowell, but I don't know if I'll ever get around to it. Like you point out, the premise is a bit creepy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's too bad this one didn't surprise you in a good way. I really didn't have a huge interest in this one from the author for some reason and it looks like I should definitely skip it. I do like some of her others but I don't think this one is for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw :( I'm sorry you had so many issues with this book Mel :\ That's no fun at all. I haven't read it yet.. though I adore this author. And now I'm worried. Ahh. Didn't like the romance? That's the worst :\ but glad you didn't fully hate the book at least, lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry that you didn't enjoy this so much, though I do like that quote! Thanks for sharing. :) I have this in my room somewhere, and would still like to try and read it for myself someday.

    Cass @ Words on Paper

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw shame you didn't love this as much as you wanted :( It was a book I enjoyed, but I did read it in a time when I was in the mood for a romance/ fluffy book so it delivered what I wanted. Plus the email format was something I'd read before in Meg Cabot's adult novels, so it's a novelty I knew I'd enjoyed previously.

    I hope you had more success with your next read

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.